About Us

At Churchland Middle School 

we embrace Our

Values
Values Panels

Community
CHMS History 

Churchland Middle School

Churchland Middle School is located at 4051 River Shore Road in the northern section of Portsmouth known as Churchland.  It is next to Churchland Academy, an elementary school, at 4061 River Shore Road. 
These two schools share 35.3 acres of land adjoining a residential neighborhood known as Merrifields.

Campus

The campus of Churchland Middle School has seven athletic fields. The school, as well as Portsmouth recreation leagues, including the Churchland Softball Little League and the Churchland Soccer League, uses the soccer, softball, and t-ball fields. The school building, built in 1968, is three stories high with a square footage of 136,937. The building has a courtyard that works well as an outdoor classroom.  On the first floor, there is an open commons area, which allows for ease of student movement in changing classes.  Both the schools’ physical education classes and city’s basketball leagues use the full size gymnasium. The school cafeteria also can be used as an auditorium, seating audiences of up to 400.  Our fine arts department includes a band room, which can accommodate up to 125 musicians and a choral room with custom made raised platforms.

Enrollment

Over the years, increasing population of the Churchland area has led to a significant rise in the enrollment of Churchland Middle School.  The present enrollment is 855 students. The library/media center is large and spacious.  It is always open to meet the student's and teachers’ need for research and reading. The large computer lab in the media center is available for all to use.

Parent Involvement

Churchland Middle School has an active Parent-Teacher Association (PTA).  PTA members have given luncheons, sponsored fundraisers, promoted book fairs, and have served as volunteers. PTA volunteers help to support the school improvement goals. Join our PTA today.

                                                              History
                               Dedication      Placing Cornerstone      First School Newspaper

Why the Name “Truckers”?

The origin of the Churchland mascot and nickname, Truckers, dates back to the early 20th century. By the 1920’s, the area west of the Western Branch of the Elizabeth River (Churchland) had become a rich farming region. Family farms grew potatoes, peanuts, corn and other vegetables to be sold at market. Boats and barges were able to travel into the inlets and coves that lay between the current West Norfolk and Churchland Bridges. Farmers “trucked” their goods, first by wagon and later by trucks, to the shores of the river to ship them to northern markets. It is from these large farms and the surrounding villages of the 1920’s and 30’s that the Churchland schools' athletic teams acquired their nickname, the Truckers.

Churchland’s mascot is a truck, in honor of the truck farmers of the locale. The style of the truck changes over the years, and keeps up with the times, as have Truckers themselves, but the tribute remains the same. Usually the truck is shown emblazoned with the letters C and T. 

Orange, Black, and White are the official Churchland colors.

We are the Truckers and CHMS is our GPS for success!

Why the Truckers